Nebraska Department of
Health and Human Services
301 Centennial Mall South
Lincoln, NE 68509
The following are some of the programs administered by the Nebraska Department of Health & Human Services. To obtain a complete listing of all programs offered, call 402-471-7000.
- Medicaid, Medicaid Waiver, food and financial assistance eligibility.
- Long-Term Care Ombudsman – advocates for those living in a long-term care facility.
- Developmental Disability Services – service coordination for adults 19 years of age or older with disabilities.
- Social Services Block Grant Program – assistance for persons who are aged 60 and older or disabled so they may remain in their own home or in other safe surroundings as long as possible.
- Adult Protective Services (APS) – investigates and helps remedy abusive situations.
You can anonymously report elder abuse to Adult Protective Services at 800-652-1999. See page D7 for a listing of common signs of abuse.
National Institute on Aging (NIA)
(research on aging and the health & well-being of aging adults)
Be aware of these signs of abuse/neglect:
- Financial Exploitation
- Misuse of money or property
- Taking possession of money or property
- Physical Abuse
- Confined against will
- Sexual abuse
- Unexplained injuries
- Neglect by Caregiver or Self
- Deprived of food
- Deprived of clothing
- Deprived of shelter
- Poor personal hygiene
- Lack of medication
- Unsafe/unsanitary housing
- Lack of medical care
- Lack of heat
- Lack of supervision
- Victim’s Behavioral Signs
- Inability to reach food, water, sanitary facilities
- Inability to care for self