Omaha ElderCare Resource Handbook:
Independent Living Retirement Villas and Communities
Independent living retirement villas and communities offer individuals the opportunity to live with people of similar age in an independent lifestyle. They offer such amenities as prepared meals, transportation to scheduled appointments, shopping and planned activities. When you begin your search for a new residence in a retirement community, apartment, or condominium complex, some things to consider might be:
- What are the financial arrangements? Is there a buy-in requirement? Is this money returned if you move?
- What types of activities are available?
- Are there additional monthly fees such as parking, laundry or housekeeping services?
- What is the “additional person” fee? This fee is for a second person living in the apartment.
- Is there a meal plan, and if so, what does it entail? Eating a meal at the facility may be a good way to assess the quality and variety of the food.
- What are the age requirements?
- What health issues would require you to move from the facility?
- If needed, will you be allowed to have home health care? Are there any restrictions?
- Do they allow pets?
- Will they have a garage for your car? What is the fee?
Talking to the current residents about what they like and dislike about the complex may help in your decision.