Omaha ElderCare Resource Handbook:
Area Agencies on Aging
This nationwide network was established to work with seniors and their families in finding services that will allow them to remain independent in their own homes for as long as possible.
Local Offices:The following are some of the programs administered by the state department of Health & Human Services.
- Medicaid, Medicaid Waiver, food and financial assistance eligibility.
- Long-Term Care Ombudsman – education, consultation, referral and advocacy for those living in a long-term care facility.
- Developmental Disability Services – service coordination for those with disabilities.
- Social Services Block Grant Program – assistance for persons who are aged 60 and older or disabled so they may remain in their own home or in other safe surroundings as long as possible.
- Adult Protective Services (APS) – investigates and helps remedy abusive situations.
You can anonymously report elder abuse to Adult Protective Services at the 24-hour hotline:
Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Supplemental Security Income (SSI)is a program administered by the Social Security Administration that pays monthly benefits to those with limited income and resources who are blind, disabled or 65 and older. It is intended to help with basic needs such as food, clothing and shelter. In most cases, those who qualify for SSI benefits also qualify for Medicaid.
For those with no countable income and resources below the predetermined limits, the federal benefit rate is $733/month for an individual and $1100/month for a couple. Any countable income you have (minus a $20 disregard amount) is subtracted from this benefit rate. Nebraska and Iowa both may add a small supplement to the federal benefit rate depending on your living and financial circumstances. These numbers are correct as of June 2016 and generally change yearly.
For more information on benefit amounts, resource limits and countable income or to apply for SSI, contact the Omaha or Council Bluffs Social Security Office, call the national Social Security Administration office listed above or visit www.ssa.gov/ssi.
Consumer Inquiries and Complaints