Omaha ElderCare Resource Handbook:
Assisted Living Facilities
Most assisted living facilities offer individual apartments allowing residents a continued independent lifestyle with their own furniture and belongings. Typically, these facilities offer 24-hour staffing along with a nurse on duty during specified hours to administer medications and monitor care plans. Assisted living facilities offer three meals a day as well as provide planned activities and transportation for scheduled appointments, shopping trips and outings. When you begin your search for a new residence in an assisted living facility, some things to consider might be:
- What are the varying levels of care and the charges associated with those levels? If needed, do they assist with bathing, dressing, incontinence care, etc.?
- What cares are they able to assist with and what are common reasons that will require moving to a skilled nursing facility or hiring home care? For example, are they able to provide two-person assisted transfers?
- Are three meals a day offered? Will you be required to go to the dining room for all meals? Can meals be delivered to your room when you are ill? Eating a meal at the facility may be a good way to assess the quality and variety of the food.
- Ask to see their activity schedule. Do they offer things you like to do? Do they offer physical activities to help keep you healthy?
- Is the facility in a convenient location for you? Will you be near the things that are important to you?
- Do they offer religious services of your denomination?
- Do they allow you to bring your pet?